Broken Sprites

To: Thickos <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: Broken Sprites
From: Gary Speckman <speckman@coredcs.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 05:16:07 -0500
Rogers note is right to the point.  We are racing 40+ year old cars and
metal fatigue is not unexpected.

He mentioned Jim Donato's recent suspension failure at Gingerman.  Elmo
and I were having a great race, changing leads almost each lap, when I
witnessed him push right of the track in a high speed left hand
sweeper.  I was on the inside so I didn't see the cause.  At the time, I
just thought his car was pushing badly as the left front was cranked and
he was still heading for the weeds.

It turned out that the right front stub axle broke completely off the
spindle.  The wheel and tire left the car, shearing off the brake rotor
at the same time.  He continued into the grass area with no further
damage to the car.  Thankfully, Gingerman has lots of run off room.

I have some pictures of the weekend, the parties and the cars which I
will be posting to a web site in the near future.

Gary