see what we deal with?

To: "Team Thicko Mail List" <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: see what we deal with?
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 22:18:42 -0500
To all,

If you read my report on Grattan, and Phil Cull's (Grattan event race
director) response, you see prcisely why there's a Team Thicko.

There is so much of a secret handshake mentality within these vintage race
organizations... that if I cared enough about it, I'd want to puke. Fact is,
rather than deal with some of the exclusionary attitudes from within ( I
have tried that... both in the Healey club, and the Vintage Sportscar
Driver's Association) we decided to take our voice out of the politics and
make our comment from the outside looking in.

The VSCDA is by far the best vintage race organization I've run with... they
return an excellent value, put on top notch events, and run safe,
competitive races. But you know what... every race, we seem to gather a
little more of a foothold. We've gone from a few guys to over 275 members
worldwide. In Thicko Village last weekend, were VSCDA stalwarts like Chuck
Maranto who organizes the VSCDA race in Oct. at Indianapolis Raceway park,
(and owns the Elva driven by Elvis in "Viva Las Vegas"), and Dr. Marv
Primack... one of 3 on the VSCDA's Driver's Committee. (His presence raised
the average income about $100K)He races amongst other things, a Formula JR
Ausper, his son a Sprite. His lovely wife commented on what a great time
they had in Thicko Village.

So... what am I getting at? We try not to take ourselves too seriously. All
of our rivalries are in the spirit of great sportsmanship, and a member of
TT would do anything to help another racer. We don't care whether you drive
up in a transporter and motorhome, or an old pick up with a FV... as long as
you don't think you're better than the common folk... you're our kind of
people.

Phil's comment of  "Why don't you consider getting your car looking top
notch and applying for
being in the grid of the West Michigan Grand Prix, you might find it a lot
of fun as well." illustrates the mentality. You know what? The Red Rat
Bastard never looked good in any of it's racing life... and that's part of
its charm... that anything that ugly could open up a "big ol' can O whupass'
on a lot prettier and expensive cars. If the car finishes (notice the
definitive "if"), it usually wins its class and about 2/3rds of those
classed above it. It's not a car show... it is a car race. Duh.

I thank all of you that "get it"... and I'm glad to call you all comrades.

Flounder