[Spridgets] Repairing Fuel Tank Update

To: Spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Repairing Fuel Tank Update
From: Bruce Hamper via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 21:09:21 -0500

--000000000000ee0f0805c44bc3cd

Thanks for all the responses to the fuel tank posting!  It's nice to see
all the familiar names and get a collective set of ideas.  I didn't go the
BBQ route. Instead, I bought nifty pliers with two pivot points to
extend the reach.  These are a great addition to my tools - Crescent 2x
pliers.  With these 12 inch pliers, I was able to grab and remove the
filter in the tank.  A cleaning with solvent was all I needed to get the
tank looking nice on the inside.
I also replaced the sending unit with a brass float.  The plastic float was
full of gas.  No wonder the tank always reads empty.
Now I have a clean tank, two in-line filters (one before the pump and one
before the carbs) and a reliable Facet pump.  Just went out for the first
drive of 2021.
As a backstory, I drove my '69 blue Sprite to Sprite 50 (2008 Lake of the
Ozarks, MO) and Spridget 50 (2011-Elkhart Lake).  Those events inspired me
to find a Bugeye Sprite.  Glad to say it is finally running!
Bruce
'59 Bugeye in St. Louis

--000000000000ee0f0805c44bc3cd

=A0 It&#39;s nice to see all the familiar names and get a collective set of=
 ideas.=C2=A0 I didn&#39;t go the BBQ route. Instead, I bought nifty pliers=
 with two pivot points to extend=C2=A0the reach.=C2=A0 These are a great=C2=
=A0addition to my tools - Crescent=C2=A02x pliers.=C2=A0 With these 12 inch=
 pliers, I was able to grab and remove the filter in the tank.=C2=A0 A clea=
ning with solvent was all I needed to get the tank looking nice on the insi=
de.=C2=A0=C2=A0<div>I also replaced the sending unit with a brass float.=C2=
=A0 The plastic float was full of gas.=C2=A0 No wonder the tank always=C2=
=A0reads empty.=C2=A0=C2=A0</div><div>Now I have a clean tank, two in-line =
filters (one before the pump and one before the carbs) and a reliable=C2=A0=
Facet pump.=C2=A0 Just went out for the first drive of 2021.=C2=A0=C2=A0</d=
iv><div>As a backstory, I drove my &#39;69 blue Sprite to Sprite 50 (2008 L=
ake of the Ozarks, MO) and Spridget 50 (2011-Elkhart=C2=A0Lake).=C2=A0 Thos=
e events inspired me to find a Bugeye Sprite.=C2=A0 Glad to say it is final=
v>

--000000000000ee0f0805c44bc3cd--

--===============7944568071149221517==

spridgets@autox.team.net