RE: 1275 vs 1500 in a RB Midget

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 1275 vs 1500 in a RB Midget
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 14:15:37 -0500
I bought my '72 Midget (the one I'm currently driving) in '82, for $500, to
use as a "winter rat".  Of course, I went completely through the electric
and hydraulic systems, to correct the previous gross
negligence/screw-ups/incredible stupidity, plugged in a low-mileage 1275,
which I'd traded a 948 for, sealed up all of the holes, and drove it.  Fell
in love w/Spridgets all over again!
In '85, my tall, long-legged, and 8.5 months pregnant wife squeezed herself
behind the wheel for a shopping expedition.  Upon arriving in the shopping
mall parking garage, she found that she was unable to get out of the car!
She mentioned that several people looked at her with some degree of
suspicion, as she sat in the Midget, door open, laughing somewhat
hysterically.  Fortunately, I was at home, when she arrived there, to help
her out of the Midget.
Fast-forward 20 years, and the little critter, that prevented her graceful
exit from the Midget, is now a wiry, 6'2" gearhead, and driving that (now
restored) Midget any time he can.  He's also helping the old man on a couple
of other Midget restorations, including a vintage racer.
Oh, yeah, Mark.  About the "curved front beams" (assuming the curvature was
in an upward sweep): they are like that because God, Geoff Healey, and BMC
designed and built them like that!  If it shook above 50mph, I'd say that,
if the tires were in balance, you may have had a bent wheel, worn king pins,
worn fulcrum pins/bushings, or something of that nature.  I sure hope that
poor Midget went to a good home, instead of to the crusher.
Given the state of the art, at the time Geoff Healey sat down at the drawing
board, the Sprite/Spridget is an amazingly stout, and rigid structure.  They
don't bend/sag/bow unless they get hit, or get horribly rusty.  The "front
beams" are so well supported (and are not prone to rusting, anyway) that I
can't imagine them ever deforming, except as the result of a collision.
Bud Osbourne