Re: White wall tires

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: White wall tires
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 15:11:15 EDT
In a message dated 7/18/00 10:54:51 AM, JamesA@HI-TORQUE.com writes:

<< I was going through some old snapshots of my '69 Sprite, taken shortly
after
I bought it new, and they confirmed a memory of mine; that, as purchased
from the dealer (University Imports in Riverside, California), the car came
with (thin) whitewall tires! I'm assuming they were factory Dunlops (can't
see the dealer bothering to de-mount the delivered tires) but I'm willing to
be corrected.  Can anybody on the list help out with this? Not that many of
you are driving Spridgets bought new,>>

Jim,

Our '60 Bugeye came with Dunlap Gold Seal wide whitewall tires.  By '69 thin
whitewalls had become the norm.

 <<but maybe someone has original ads or dealer brochures? >>

Am not sure when the truth in advertising became an issue.  But what is shown
in the late '50's and early '60's brochurers does not necessarily reflect
what you could or would actually get.  For instance it was not uncommon to
show the suspension with each of the components in different colors.
Generally it made it easyer to see the suspension components in the ad but no
cars were delivered with multicolored suspensions.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1967 Sprite Mk III (in progress)