Re: that fate thing

To: cfchrist@earthlink.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: that fate thing
From: Tomsjetta@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 23:35:24 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Chuck, I think you raise some good points, but there are other things you
need to consider about the general public, and especially younger people
about getting involved in LBC's.

I do see that from time to time there are comments about the age of LBC fans;
nothing negative, just comments. To all of you, think back to when you were
17, and picture what you saw at the track, or when you were in town and saw a
Sprite or an MGB. When I was 17, the Mazda Miata had just made its debut.
Fortunately, when I was 16, I fell in love with a neighbor's MGB GT. My fate
was sealed.

That aside, my generation (or at least those of us who are my age and aren't
running Yahoo!) is, I'm guessing, just reaching the point where they can
afford a simple, decent LBC. And trust me Chuck, I'm in a minority-most
people my age who want a roadster for less than 10 large are buying used
Miatas. Plus, if you ask the average person of my generation what they
consider to be a two seater sports car, they'll tell you it's a Boxster or a
Z3. To them, the MG is just some old forgotten car that the Japanese were
able to perfect with the Miata.

I knew when I bought my car I'd be at the younger end of the spectrum, but
there are several people my age who hold a torch for these cars. My wife and
I went out for ice cream Sunday night in the Midget, and low and behold
there's another couple, our age, in a '72 MGB (teal, the only year for that
color), right there. They too, had only recently bought the car.

Now, I am a member of the CT MG Club, but I was only aware that this club
existed because my local Barnes & Noble sells MG World, and happened to
mention the one big Brit car event in Connecticut for the summer, which I
attended, and is where I found out about the CT MG Club. Had I not bought
that magazine, I never would have known that club existed.

Exposure and awareness of the marque needs to be improved. Otherwise, the
cars will suffer. After so many years, not many of us younger folk will
recall seeing a neighbor polish his MG or Healy, or see a TR-6 rumble through
town. So, I'm more than happy to let the Midget out for a run at night, just
as a little reminder to everyone out there....

Ok, you may now throw my soapbox into the bonfire...

Tom