Re: Odometer readings on Spitfire 1500s

To: Greg Rowe <growe58@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Odometer readings on Spitfire 1500s
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 04:54:26 -0800
>Ultimately, whatever gear set you have is irrelevant - direct 4th gear will
>always be 1:1.

>>How is this true?  It seems to me that a gearbox out of a GT6
>>would be assuming a different final driveratio and therefore a
>>different speed at any given rpm even in direct 4th.
*****************
relating to the gearbox which is what I believe he is discussing here,
EVERY gearbox, except one with an overdrive ratio has a direct 1 to 1 ratio
in fourth gear.  There are really only three gear sets in a four speed
gearbox.  In fact the power is transmitted directly to the output shaft
by-passing the countershaft and other gears altogether so this statement
concerning the transmissions fourth gear ratio is entirely correct, that
is, "fourth" gear is really not a gear at all but for all intents and
purposes a direct connection to the engine itself.  However, the rear end
or differential (final drive) ratio can be changed and this will certainly
change the spedo reading but will not affect the gear ratio of the
transmission itself - only the combined ratios of the tranny and rear drive
together -
bschwart@pacbell.net
---