Odometer readings on Spitfire 1500s

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Odometer readings on Spitfire 1500s
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 14:37:12 +0000
Dear All,

My odometer tells me that I have travelled about 91.1 miles for every
hundred miles I drive.   The speedometer/odometer in question is a
Smiths unit, with the "1000" figure on the face, which I believe is
correct for a UK-spec '77 1500.   My wheels and tyres are standard, but
I have no idea about my gearbox.   I bought the gearbox as an
un-reconditioned, unguaranteed, standard, four-speed, non-OD unit for a
1500, but...

Was there ever such a thing as 3.31:1 gearbox?   If so, I may have one
fitted to my car!   I note that GT6s had a 3.27:1 overall ratio, which
would give very similar results - could I possibly have a GT6 gearbox
fitted to this Spitfire?   Are they (or their internals) interchangeable
with Spitfire ones?   Can anyone come up with any other rational
explanation why an odometer, apparently in perfect working order, reads
8.9% low?

If I do have a freaky drive ratio, it might explain why the speedo in my
wife's modern Mazda reckons we are doing 92 when travelling in convoy,
with my revs at 4600, which would equate to 83 in a normal UK-spec
Spit...

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671