Re: oiling the trunnions

To: "Richard Gosling" <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>,
Subject: Re: oiling the trunnions
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:01:12 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>

> When you are done, return the remaining oil to the bottle.  If you leave it
> in the gun, the gun is not well enough sealed to contain it (it's designed
> to hold something much thicker, remember), so when you come back in 6 months
> you will have an empty gun and a large oil stain (ask me how I know!).

Hi Richard/List,
    I have used a grease gun made by "Wanner" (snigger) for around 12 years.
It's one of the half size types. I keep this filled with gear oil at all times,
with a couple of provisos. Firstly, when I finish using it, I release the
pressure by drawing back and locking the rod at the back - I'm sure it has a
more technical name. Secondly, I store the gun by hanging it vertically with
the nozzle downwards, I usually hang it from the rafter in the shed. There is
never anything worse than a tiny amount of leakage, even after being stored
like this for upto a year,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--