RE: Subject: front suspension renewal - bent vertical link?

To: "'Greg Rowe'" <growe58@hotmail.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Subject: front suspension renewal - bent vertical link?
From: Davies William-qswi646 <William.M.Davies@motorola.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 14:36:52 -0000

Sheared vertical links are certainly not uncommon, though they usually go
hand-in-hand with poor maintenance, not necessarily recently, but at an
earlier point in the car's life. Failure to lubricate the trunnion properly
allows rust to start at the top of the threaded portion. Typically, this is
where traditional grease is used (modern compounds may be OK - that's a
different argument) rather than the recommended EP90. The grease dries and
will not be displaced when fresh oil or grease is pumped in, so the top
section remains dry, allowing the rust to get a hold. This weakens the metal
sufficiently for a breakage to occur - I am not talking about deep
penetration here, just sufficient surface damage to form stress points from
which a crack can emanate. This is unlikely to happen with a race car which
gets stripped down and rebuilt regularly - any suspect vertical links would
be discarded long before they were at a critical stage.
        Vertical links normally break at low speed - I can't explain why
this is the case. One exception was a friend's Herald 13/60 about 13-14
years ago, which sheared a link in the outside lane of the M4 in West Wales,
travelling at over 70mph. He left a nicely dug channel across the motorway
to the hard shoulder. I have been obsessive about trunnion oiling ever since
and have never lost a link myself.
        Cheers,
                Bill.

                            This Message sent by:
    ^================^
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupi Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Saloon
\________________________/  1961 Herald 1200 Coupi
 | |                  | |   1968 2000 Mk1 Saloon (the Wife's car!)

Join The Herald Mailing List at: