re: Subject: front suspension renewal - bent vertical link?

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Subject: front suspension renewal - bent vertical link?
From: "Pettis, Ward (NIDCD)" <pettisw@ms.nidcd.nih.gov>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 13:18:42 -0500
John,

I'm in the middle of my front end rebuild too (going very slooowwwly).
Check your verticle link by lining up the threaded portion (bottom) with the
mount hole for the ball joint (upper).  You could use a long rod or ruler to
check the alignment.  If it's not lined up, then it's bent.  Both of mine
were bent.  I just got two used set from a supplier in Virginia ( Stefan
Roundy [ stefanr@bealenet.com <mailto:stefanr@bealenet.com> ]).   Since I
asked him to check the alignments, he was surprised how many of his were
bent and commented that it must not take much force to bend them.  (FYI - he
said he does have more straight ones.)  (BTW, he steadfastly calls them
"uprights", not vertical links).

The only other comment I can offer regarding the wishbones stuck in place
even after moving them down:  I believe this is normal due to the rubber
bushes being held tightly in place.  This is the reason I plan to tighten
down the bolts for the suspension and rollbar bushes after the car is taken
off the stands.

Ward - '76 Spitfire

From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>

Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 01:55:24 -0800 (PST)

(Snip)

So how can I check to see if the stub axle/vertical link are bent and what
could caused the apparent mess that this side of the suspension is in?

cheers

John & Saskia (1977 Spit 1500)