Re: Weak rear brakes

To: Chris DeStaffany <destaff@yahoo.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Weak rear brakes
From: "matt matthews" <mattspit@att.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:37:06 -0600
We have had a similar problem on our FP SCCA spitfire.
WE went through all the calculations and it suggested we were getting only
about 15% breaking on the rear wheels. Theoretically for our weight
distribution we should have had 40%. We then generated a 6 foot torque
wrench measured the brake torque at a constant pedal pressure. Pretty close
to the calculated value. The calculations shoed that we should go to 3/4
rear wheel cylinders. We have GT 6 drums on the back and GT 6 disks on the
front with Tilton dual 5/8 masters with a balance bar. The larger rear wheel
cylinders generated the desired 40% rear braking bias as calculated and the
brakes are much better in racing. It is important to lock up the fronts
first. But we could not make the back lock up at all with the 5/6 rear wheel
cylinders. In fact we could turn the rear wheel by hand.