Re: Soggy Trousers

To: Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Soggy Trousers
From: Tburke4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:51:24 EDT

Hi Richard,

I haven't installed a windshield, but, a fellow named Greg Smith bought a
windshield from me after he broke his trying to re-install it. So, it appears
that there is a risk at that stage. I recall it was tricky and involved rope
and maybe a helper. I know he was working from a resource found on the web (I
looked around and couldn't find it.) and that he posted a description of his
experience on the list, so that should be in the archives.

Greg's e-mail address is <A HREF="mailto:gsmith@cvn.net";>gsmith@cvn.net</A>
or, at least, it was a few months ago. You might drop him a line, maybe he's
not on the list anymore. (He sold his Spitfire.)

I can tell you that cutting a windshield seal with a knife against the glass
is slippery business and can result in bloodshed or, worse yet, paint
scratches. Pros use a T-handled tool that hooks behind the windshield.

Have you considered putting a small bead of silicone under the seal to
re-seal it?

Tom Burke
80 Spit

In a message dated 09/22/2000 5:24:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time,