Re: Soggy Trousers -Reply

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com, llst@telus.net
Subject: Re: Soggy Trousers -Reply
From: "Gary Kristjansson" <kristjag@EM.AGR.CA>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 09:45:37 -0400
I've done this before with a Spit MkIV and GT6 MK3 and it's a piece of cake.

I suggest cutting the outside of the windsheild gasket with a piece of fine
wire and /or a utility knife by placing the blade between the glass and the
gasket and cutting outward toward the groove used to retain the windsheild trim
(remove this first).

Once you've done this the glass is retained only by sealer,  This glass can be
cut from this using a piece of wire poked though the gasket so it runs from the
outside to the inside of the car.  The glass can then be gently pressed out
using foot pressure from inside as per the shop manual.

Installation is as per the shop manual using a piece of sturdy butcher's cord.

Gary

>>> Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com> 09/22 4:28 am >>>

Larry,

Thanks for that.  I am actually interested in removing the windscreen from the
 frame, not the frame from the car, so that I can replace the windscreen seal,
 to avoid the leaks I am currently getting.

In any case, Daffy is a 1500, which has a windscreen frame welded into the
 structure of the tub - it is not a simple a job as it is with the round-tail
 Spits!

So, who has actually removed and replaced a windscreen (without breaking it!)?
 Easy?  Special tools?  Special tips/tricks?  Anything I should watch out for
 or avoid?

Richard and Daffy