Electric woos and lessons learned

Subject: Electric woos and lessons learned
From: "David A. Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 12:53:05 -0400
Hi All,

Over the last 48 hours I have had the opportunity to go over my spit and
make sure everything looks good for the tranny reinstall.  One of the things
I did was go though the wiring in the dash and make sure everything has a
connection to the right wire etc.

Well I then hooked the battery back up to verify I didn't mess anything up
too badly.  The rear taillight still didn't work, the parking brake light
didn't come on, the interior lights still didn't work and the newly replace
trunk bulb was a no go.

As I open the passenger door I saw a flicker on the under dash bulb, almost
a flicker of hope (dramatic irony?)  So I pulled the door switch and
proceeded to clean off the tar gunk and paint.  Then using the Dremel and a
small wire cleaning wheel cleaned the oxidation off the contacts.  Then
spread lithium grease on it and put it back in the door.  Hey the passenger
light now works perfectly!!  Feeling confident I went to the drivers side
and did the same for two switches there.  Three for three!  The hand brake
switch was the same thing and it required a little extra adjustment. The
trunk switch I took off the car and completely cleaned it off, again with
the Dremel and greased it up to the point it makes no noise and the light
comes on!

The drivers rear lights have been iffy since I got the car and now I tackled
it by removing the holder cleaning the contacts and smearing some grease.
Boy replacing the bulbs later will be easier as well.  After reassembling
the lights are fine now.

Some time ago I posted a question about a wiper motor that didn't want to
stop after being turned off.  Well since I was on a roll I figure it
couldn't hurt to check the contacts and clean them if needed.  I spent 1/2
hour just to remove the connectors because of the corrosion and once they
were cleaned and lubed the wiper now works and STOPS on command!

I realize this is not a big thing but it is a small personal victory to make
sure my little spit runs better than the day I got it.

The moral I learned is always check connectors first when you suspect wiring
problems. Till later.....

        David A. Templeton
        Open Text Corp.
        Waterloo, ON
        Canada
        WebSite: http://trandmustang.homestead.com

'74 Triumph SpitSix '66 Ford Mustang (Wife's)'66 Ford Mustang GT  '59
Triumph TR3a (Project) '99 GMC Safari '95 GMC K2500 Sierra