Re: 1500 head modification questions and others (kinda long) and getting

To: "Mostrom, Paul" <Mostrom.Paul@principal.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1500 head modification questions and others (kinda long) and getting longer
From: "Ron Krantz" <rkrantz@Prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 22:31:02 -0500
All spitfires having three main bearings.  This means that the center main
must feed oil to both #2 and #3 rod bearing.  Opening the main galley is
only half the answer. After chasing this problem longer than I like to admit
on my 1147cc race car, I came up with this crank mod in addition to opening
the main galley.
1. Main galley in block - drill one drill size larger than existing hole to
remove all rough casting burrs and smooth for better oil flow. The
restriction is actually the crank not the block.
2.  Center main of Crankshaft - From #2 and #3 rod journal use #8 drill and
drill back to center main - stop just short of breaking through to main
journal surface.  This requires special order (long) drill bit.
3. Center main of Crankshaft - Use #K drill to open up the main leading into
the two rod oil holes. Then spoon for oil pickup.
This has solved ALL my bottom end problems for over 15 years.  This applies
to 1147 and small journal 1300 engines.  I've never calculated requirements
for the 1500.  I have always felt the problem with the 1500 was the weight
and stroke of the crank.  But if you are seeing #2 or #3 rod failures it is
probably due to lack of oil.
 I was burning bearings - not breaking rods or cranks - but then those are
modified also.  Balancing the rotating mass (crank, flywheel, pressure
plate, front pulley, rods, pistons,pins, rings, and rod bolts) is as
important as improving the oil flow on a three main crank !!  I use to rev
up to 10,000 rpm and finish races before SCCA allowed alternate
transmissions.
Tech tip of the day.
Ron
ReK Racing