Excess Crankcase Pressure (formerly: header & related smell)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Excess Crankcase Pressure (formerly: header & related smell)
From: HD883HUGGR@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:09:41 EDT
Hi List:  I think I sent this directly to Joe by mistake.  Any assistance
will be appreciated.--

<< Scott, Ask me why that sounded so familiar!  I did a write-up on how to
 correct the problem of crankcase pressure and it is on Tom Shirley's
 Spitfire Garage Tips archive. I hope it helps you out!  Joe  >>

Joe: With all the dupe messages lately, I'm afraid my response to your above
message might have gotten lost in the sauce.
    I think you're right on target with your hypothesis regarding
over-pressurized crankcase, because I have also noticed oil ON TOP of my
ribbed aluminum valve cover, which apparently is coming from the oil filler
cap.  So how do I find Tom Shirley's Spitfire Garage Tips archive?
    Next question: a buddy who proclaims to be a mechanic says the
over-pressurized crankcase may be shooting oil into the carb, which may be
the cause of the rather large amount of blue smoke coming from the exhaust
tips.  Prior to the recent work (where ZS & stock intake manifold were
replaced with a Weber & a Cannon intake, and the stock exhaust manifold &
pipe were replaced with a header & monza exhaust -- and ERG valve was
subsequently removed), I did not notice any blue smoke from Hobbs at all.
    Will driving the car in its current condition do any damage (other than
pollute the atmosphere)?  Will decreasing the crankcase pressure resolve or
help resolve this blue smoke problem? And maybe even decrease the increase in
oil leak from my oil pan gasket?
    Thanks, Joe -- or other mechanically inclined Spitphiles -- for your
assistance and advice.
    Scott (& Hobbs, fire-breathing 77 Spit)