Re: Help! with crankshaft pulley nut

To: Glenn Trunnell <trunnell@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Help! with crankshaft pulley nut
From: "Dr. Faustus" <faustus@inconnect.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 16:42:26 -0600 (MDT)
On Mon, 10 May 1999, Glenn Trunnell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Due to a knocking rod bearing in my Spit I'm trying to get my spare motor
> rebuilt over the next couple of weeks, I cannot get the #$%^& nut off the
> end of the crankshaft though!  Is this nut reverse threaded by any chance?
> There is no locking tab and I have tried and broken two tools so far trying
> to remove this thing, I don't have an impact wrench, is that the only way?
> Why in the hell is this thing so tight?  Any advice will be greatly
> appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Glenn
I battled with mine last fall.  After trying everything I had (Including a
five foot "cheater" bar on my breaker bar), I gave in and borrow an impact
wrench and portable air tank to run it.  I had it off in about 10 seconds.
I put it back on with the impact wrench as well, just to make sure it was
good and tight.

Andy L.
'70 Spit

P.S.  It is threaded in a standard way.  One trick you may have luck with
that I didn't: Place the breaker bar on the nut, then turn the engine over
with the starter (With no spark!).  It will strike your frame and deliver
quite a strong torque.