Re: GT-6 engine in Spitfire

To: "Bowen, Patrick A. RP2" <jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil>,
Subject: Re: GT-6 engine in Spitfire
From: "Jeffrey B. Williams" <jeffrey.williams@cwix.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 12:05:03 -0400
This may be off of the thread, but I've  *heard* its possible to stuff the
aluminum Rover V-8 engine and tranny from a TR-8 into a Spit, with only
slightly more effort as it takes to do the GT-6 conversion.  Another trick I
heard of, but do not really know the details of is to mate a GT6 head onto a
TR6 block and do a little piston work.  Evidently, as rumor has it, this
raises the compression to something on the order of 19:1!!!  Sounds like a
bomb waiting to happen to me, if this is actually true.  It would be fun to
drive, though, for the year (I'm Guessing...) a motor like that would last.

As I said earlier, these tricks are just ones that I've heard rumors about.
I'm appealing to those more knowledgeable souls on this list to set us
straight.  Is there any truth to the above two mods?

P.S.  I still think the 1500 in my non pollution control '73 still rocks,
especially with performance headers and a Weber on it.

Jeffrey B. Williams
1973 Spitfire FM1694UO
Soon to be yello with black interior
jeffrey.williams@cwix.com