Re: 71-72 GT6 MKIII/Spitfire MKIV Seats

To: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Subject: Re: 71-72 GT6 MKIII/Spitfire MKIV Seats
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 19:59:55 -0700
Before buying Interior components, don't forget to check out BPNW.  When
I was rebuilding my Spit's interior, I ordered the components from TRF
because of the Fall sale and free shipping.  Everything trickled in
except the seat covers.  After several calls and 8 months, I gave up and
started checking the other vendors.  I bought them from BPNW and had
them the next day and as a bonus saved my self $20.00.

Regards,
Joe

Keith R. Stewart wrote:

> When I priced new interior components from Newton, SpitBits, Rimmer, and
> TRF, I found that the prices were better in the end buying from TRF...and
> guess where they get their interior components?....Newton! BTW, all the
> seat rebuild components...straps, foam, diaphragm, and upholstery, are
> shown in TRF's mini Sitfire catalogue.
>
> Cheers
> Keith Stewart
>
> ----------
> > From: Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 <Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com>
> > To: 'Spitfire List' <spitfires@autox.team.net>
> > Subject: 71-72 GT6 MKIII/Spitfire MKIV Seats
> > Date: Tuesday, September 15, 1998 4:54 PM
> >
> > Scions,
> >       Since the high back reclining seats are being mentioned I though I
> > should throw this out. Both my 71 GT6 and 71 Spitfire have this style
> seat.
> > I have not seen these seats in anything earlier than a 71 MKIII GT6 or
> later
> > than a 72 GT6 MKIII or Spit of the same years.
> >
> >        As mentioned before the only ones shown in the VB catalog are the
> > removable headrest  or no headrest varieties. The only place I have been
> > able to find parts like seat foam,  new upholstery, or the masonite
> pieces
> > in the lower side corners, was to go to Newton Commercial in the UK. They
> > are interior suppliers for all years Spitfire, GT6, Herald, and Vitesse.
> In
> > fact some of the interior pieces you buy in the US that have made in UK
> > stickers come from them. Once item on the seats I did buy not from them
> were
> > the pre-made straps for the seat backs. For some reason I can't remember
> > bought them from Rimmers.
> >
> >       I have been using Newton for a number of years and have always been
> > pleased with their service and quality. One of the nicer things purchased
> > recently was the upgraded boot kit for the Spitfire. The sides and fuel
> tank
> > covers are pretty thick masonite covered by a high quality carpet. When
> > installed it changed the appearance and finish level of the trunk
> > dramatically . And this was a trunk that had been bead blasted and
> painted.
> > Newton Commercial http://www.anglianet.co.uk/newtoncomm/
> > Later,
> > Richard Ceraldi71 GT6 MKIII KF166L71 Spitfire MKIV FK9365LAustin,
> TXhttp://www.exact.com/~gt6mk3

> > >     Trivia: the new seats are black with fixed head rests. Anyone
> > > know what era spit they're from ? (The only pictures I saw in VB
> > > were either adjustable or no head rest at all) Other than the head
> > > rest and condition, they're similar to my old brown ones, with
> > > a lever to recline, another to flip the whole seat forward, and
> > > sliding rails on the bottom.

  -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer