Re: 71-72 GT6 MKIII/Spitfire MKIV Seats

To: Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 <Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com>
Subject: Re: 71-72 GT6 MKIII/Spitfire MKIV Seats
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 14:19:39 -0700
>       Since the high back reclining seats are being mentioned I though I
>should throw this out. Both my 71 GT6 and 71 Spitfire have this style seat.
>I have not seen these seats in anything earlier than a 71 MKIII GT6 or later
>than a 72 GT6 MKIII or Spit of the same years.
Just so nobody is confused-
As mentioned earlier by Andy Mace, the 70 MK3 Spitfire, and as I have a
perfect example, the GT6+ of 1970 vintage also had the fixed headrest.  The
MK4's  and MK3 GT's also had the fixed headrest variety, but were different
in design.  While the MK4 and GT6 MK3 seats were basically the 1500 seats
with headrests attached (the seat foam bottom and backs are each one piece
molded affairs), the earlier fixed headrest type were different in
construction.  More like the earlier seats with separate bottom and back
foam (including headrests), and separate foam glued to side and lateral
supports.  Each piece of foam was covered separately, that is bottom had
its own covering.  The back with headrest had its own, as well as each side
piece along the bottom (for your thighs) and the lateral supports along the
back were covered separately. instead of one all inclusive bottom piece and
one all inclusive back with headrest piece.  I have both, and have covered
both examples of  these seats in my vehicles.  The project 70 will have the
later 1500 seats with separate headrests, which I also have, but haven't
covered/finished them yet-

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire