RE: Spitfire Value

To: "'Childs, David'" <dchilds@epri.com>,
Subject: RE: Spitfire Value
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 16:33:31 -0500
Dave,

I realize that times have changed a bit... but I picked up my '73 1500
running (with o/d), a fair body (a not so nice dent on the right rear
quarter and some rust-worm holes starting behind the rear wheels) and
several boxes of spare parts for under $500.  This was in central NJ.

Oh yeah, it was nine years ago.

>From your description, I'd be inclined to think something like $700 if the
engine starts and runs, $300-$500 if not.  If the car has not been
registered since 1985 you can count on having to go completely through the
hydraulics (brake and clutch).  You also have no idea what shape the rest of
the drive train is in.  If the interior vinyl and soft top aren't trashed
yet you can expect to be replacing some of that quickly.

Here in the Dallas area, for a little more than the $1500 you were going to
offer for a car in questionable condition you can usually find something
both mechanically sound and cosmetically clean.

Just my opinion.

Jim Gambony
"too many lbc's, not enough time!"