[Shotimes] Gingerman Snow day

To: Shotimes <shotimes@autox.team.net>,
Subject: [Shotimes] Gingerman Snow day
From: "D. Mallinson" <dmall@mwonline.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 12:32:08 -0500
About 18 drivers made it to Gingerman for the 12th.  Day started dark,
cold (32 Deg) and snowing.  Track had a white layer most of the day.

Had my first cup of coffie for the year (usually has to be near zero to
make me want that dark bitter stuff!).

The bunch was game, and people went out, a few went off, but mostly
people slowed down enough.  I was having fun trying to toss the car
around.  At noon break the snow really started coming down and with the
corner workers being really cold, and more snow forcast, we voted
whether to stay and hope for better weather, or stop now and get a 1/2
day credit for next springs event.  The group voted to go except two of
us that voted to stay and play in the cold and snow, I was one that
voted to stay, I was having fun!  :)

I was having a ball.  I have been trying to find out how to slide a car
through corners, and have been waiting for a rain day to practice.  this
year at Gingerman with snow and Sneet (puffy styrofoam like balls of
show/sleet) all over the track, I was just beginning to learn how to get
the back end of my FWD SHO to hang out a little when they shut down for
lunch.  Ken got a picture of my '96 SHO with snow on top of the tires at
it sat between sessions!  NO way to get any heat into the tires.

There was a big puddle at the apex of turn 10, and I took it upon myself
to get rid of it.  Hit it hard every time I came through and Ken said he
was a few cars back a few times and he would see me go in the corner,
then this big POOF of water and spray!  I would get the windshield
covered in water every time, but I eventually got rid of the puddle.  :)

I was having WAY too much fun in the slick, with ABS going off every
braking zone.

Rode with one novice driver in her Audi TT  AWD.  VERY nice.  More room
inside than I thought.

Anyway, we cancelled at 1:30 with it still snowing and more dark clouds
coming from the West.   Lake effect snow.

Ken and I went to Kalamazoo to set up the '07 SHO Convention.  They have
two of the best museums in the world (not just their opinion) in the
Gilmore Auto museum and the Kalamazoo AIR ZOO. You just MUST SEE these
attractions at the convention next year!  At the Air Zoo, I got goose
bumps entering the main hall, and you can ride a fighter jet simulator
that lets you go 360 degrees in a circle plus UPSIDE DOWN!    Do
yourself a favor and see these two museums at the '07 Convention.
Gilmore is about 20 miles north of K-Zoo on beautiful roads.

We should have the host hotel and other events finalized very soon and
have the registration form on-line and do a mailing.

I am not kidding, there is a TON of neat stuff to do in K-Zoo, and this
will be one great convention.  Everyone please try to make it this
coming year, July 16-19.

Don Mallinson