RE: [Shotimes] gasoline, give it to mike-ee, he eats everything

To: <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] gasoline, give it to mike-ee, he eats everything
From: "Ron Porter" <ronporter@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 03:26:56 -0400
Oh sure...all we need is the government running MORE businesses and killing
any productivity.

You are confusing a few things here. Not all electricity production is via
public utilities. Some of it is produced by private enterprise and sold to
public utilities.

There is NO natural gas that I know of that is produced by public utilities.
The public utilities are the middlemen who handle distribution.

I could make an argument that we should privatize the utilities.

Providing gas through retail outlets is nothing like supplying energy to
homes, businesses, etc.

There is no Constitutional 'right" for cheap gas. Anyway, define 'cheap".
Gas is now, adjusted for inflation, getting close to the cost of the early
'80s, so it's been cheaper for the last 25 years.

Remember a couple of weeks ago with all of the whining about Exxon making
$10.36 billion last quarter? Well, it was on revenues of $99.03 billion. A
quick calculator exercise shows that they only had a profit margin of 10.5%.

Apply 10.5% to a $3.00 gallon of gas, and you get $0.315 in profit on each
gallon of gas. Compare that to the $0.60 - $1.00 (or more) that is paid in
taxes on every gallon, and let's look at where the "windfall" is going.

Whenever I see our whiney liberal Governor on TV with her campaign ads
complaining about the "windfall" gas profits, and I think about Michigan
charging 6% sales tax on each gallon, and charging the tax on top of the
federal taxes, I want to throw my shoe through the TV!!

Ron Porter