[Shotimes] OT repair scam in Peoria

To: Shotimes <shotimes@autox.team.net>, "'SHO'" <v8sho@v8sho.com>,
Subject: [Shotimes] OT repair scam in Peoria
From: "D. Mallinson" <dmall@mwonline.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:59:36 -0500
Been a lot of chatter in the press the last couple of days about a scam
artist in the Peoria area that surfs local malls, and big box stores for
senior citizens (all women so far) with late 80's early 90's Mopar cars.

If he gets the chance, he slides under the front bumper, unplugs the
neutral safety switch that on these cars is right near the radiator down
low, easy to get to, and waits for the owner to come back.

Car won't start, guy comes up and says he is a mechanic and will fix the
car for a modest sum, usually $50-$100.

If he gets someone to offer cash, he will plug it back in in 30 seconds
and the car starts and he takes his cash.  One lady got hit twice with
this before she caught on, but offered him only $20 the second time.
Guy is such a jerk that he said "Wait, I need to make sure everything is
safe" then he went back under the car, ripped the wires out totally and
left.  She spent a hundred or more at a dealership getting it fixed.

Same guy, but I can't believe Peoria IL has the only enterprising jerks
to pull this, so be on the lookout in parking lots for people under the
front of this era Mopar products.  Not sure if other cars are this easy
to disable, but I bet this type of scam gets worse before it gets better.

FYI

Don Mallinson