[Shotimes] (OT) Interesting Aftermarket CAI Test

To: "Shotimes" <shotimes@autox.team.net>,
Subject: [Shotimes] (OT) Interesting Aftermarket CAI Test
From: "Ron Porter" <ronporter@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 11:39:56 -0400
This has to do with a Subaru part, but it has parallels to SHO (as well as
other car) situations. Kinda long, but interesting (I think!)

For background:

SPT (Subaru Performance Tuning) puts out factory-authorized performance and
other parts.

Cobb Tuning is an aftermarket performance vendor who makes (IMHO) excellent
stuff for Subarus (and soon for Evos): http://www.cobbtuning.com/main.html

SPT is finally making Legacy GT (LGT) parts, similar to what they do for
other models (WRX, STI, etc). One piece is an LGT cold-air intake. Pretty
typical piece (look like a SHO Shop Gen 3 setup to anyone???), but seems to
be a rip-off to charge extra for a heat shield:

http://legacygt.com/forums/618963-post106.html
http://legacygt.com/forums/629135-post164.html

Anyway, as you can see from the first SPT link above, they got some pretty
impressive (!!) HP #s for the STI and WRX SPT parts, so folks were wondering
what the Legacy GT part would do.

Cobb, who doesn't make a CAI for the LGT yet, did a datalog and dyno test of
the SPT LGT CAI, with some "very" interesting results. With the exception of
the timing pullback on the TMIC (top-mounted intercooler), much of what they
logged and found WRT aftermarket CAIs is relevant to a lot of cars.

FWIW, the stock LGT airbox is virtually identical to all of the SHO
airboxes. Made out of the same stuff, with similar filter sizes. Only
difference is an air intake over the radiator bulkhead, but my box was
inadvertently "modified" so it also gets air from the fenderwell, like a
SHO.

Here is Cobb's test.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/tech/instructions/SPTLegacyGT1.01.pdf

You can draw your own conclusions, and folks who have read my thoughts on
CAIs over the years know what I think!! Just because it's factory-authorized
and warranty-covered doesn't mean they have a clue!!

FWIW, for anyone that interested, here's the whole thread that Cobb started
on the SPT CAI.

http://legacygt.com/forums/turbo-powertrains-2-0gt/39773-per-your-request-ex
tensive.html

Ron Porter