RE: [Shotimes] engine lift suggestions?

To: <Shotimes@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] engine lift suggestions?
From: "Bob" <bob@hotpursuit.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 18:00:25 -0700
I used the larger of the two harbor freight lift carts:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41145
It handles the weight very well.  On sale, they're about $199 IIRC

The trick is then getting the car high enough to drop it out the bottom.  I
borrowed one of these:
http://www.mohawklifts.com/consumer/hr6.php
http://www.mohawklifts.com/consumer/specs/hr6specs.php
It lifts to 48" which was plenty, even with the height of the cart.  Certainly
some other jacking techniques could be used.

It looks like HF makes one, but I don't think I would trust it:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46604
It only lifts 36"

I used to have a cheapo 1,000 lb Post Tool engine stand.  While I was building
a small block Ford in '99, the a caster wheel (iron)
suddenly broke and caused enough weight shift that the shortblock fell over and
was unstoppable.  A corner of the block ripped a
gash nearly all the way across my palm as I tried to stop the calamity.  I then
went to a couple of engine builder shops and the
stand of choice was Stroppini.  So I bought one.  There's a huge difference in
stability and apparent strength.  Here's a listing
for them:

2546 Mercantile Dr Ste A
Rancho Cordova, CA , 95742-8203
Address Map
Phone: 916-635-8181
FAX: 916-635-8183
Business Activity: Manufacturer
Products Description: Manufactures medical products; auto parts; precision
machine shop; welding

As for the engine hoist, the Craftsman hoists from Sears may very well be the
same manufacturer as the HF units.  A close look at
both should let you know if the Sears premium is worth the money.

        -- Bob