[Shotimes] Steering Problem

To: <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shotimes] Steering Problem
From: "van Oss" <vanOss@centurytel.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 11:32:55 -0500
Some who were at the convention noticed that my car started behaving
erratically in the afternoon.  Here's what happened:

Somehow (maybe because the track surface was so rough) I picked up something
in the 2nd session that cut the left front outer CV boot.  Naturally grease
was thrown.  This lube enabled one of the bushings to slide forward on the
tension strut.  (Apparently a washer was never installed in front of this
bushing.  It's been held in place by friction only for the last 5 years!)

You can imagine the result.  The front left suspension would walk back and
forth on the tension strut about 2-3 inches each time there was a slight
left or right turn off the center point.  This radical caster change made
for very abrupt behavior when steering slightly left or right.  It made lane
changes exciting.

Al S. gave me a ride to Home Depot where $9 worth of plumbing parts were
enough to lock the bushing in place so we could get the car home safely.
Now she's properly fixed with real parts.

Moral of the story:  Behind every cloudy bushing there should be a silver
washer.

VO