RE: [Shotimes] Crank Cancer - Cracked woodruff key, fubar

To: "shotimes@autox.team.net" <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] Crank Cancer - Cracked woodruff key, fubar
From: "George Fourchy" <krazgeo@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 22:06:08 -0700
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:47:16 -0500, Bruce  Malachuk wrote:

>There are no spliines on the crank itself. So that is BS :-)

The part of the crank that the timing sprocket rides on is smooth.  But if the
sprocket wobbles back and forth enough, it will wear down the crank.  Mine wore
down
a thousandth of an inch during the three years it was being eaten away.  I was
able
to fix it by using Locktite 640 and a one/half thousandth feeler gauge cut into
three pieces and stuffed under the new gear as it was being slid into place.
The
car then went another 93,000 miles before retiring due to a clutch problem.  The
engine is as sound as when it was new.

You can see it (the Locktite, and the repair) at ...(speaking of my website!!!)

http://www.krazgeo.com/CrankCancer.html

George