[Shotimes] RE: (OT) lincoln town car go bye bye?

To: <v8sho@v8sho.com>
Subject: [Shotimes] RE: (OT) lincoln town car go bye bye?
From: "Ron Porter" <ronporter@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 23:03:31 -0400
Haven't heard anything recently, but it is nearing the end of the lifecycle
anyway, and I forget where it's built, which could determine it's fate.

To highjack this thread, here is yesterday's Detroit news story on the Dodge
Challenger:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060630/AUTO01/606300415
<http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060630/AUTO01/606300415
&SearchID=73249382467529> &SearchID=73249382467529

or

http://tinyurl.com/fa87y

This probably surprised no one, but what I found interesting was at the
bottom of this article, mainly:

"Merkle said he expects that the Challenger will only be offered with a V-8
engine, unlike the Mustang, which comes with both a V-6 and a V-8 option. He
believes Dodge will sell about 30,000 to 35,000 Challengers beginning in
late 2008".

30-35K units a year is a very reasonable expectation. For other folks with
long memories, remember back a few months ago when Chevy said they would
produce the Camaro if they feel it can sell 100K+ units a year!! Yah..when
pigs fly!!

I've said it before, but DCX understands how to build cars that will sell in
low quantities and make $$$. GM is still clueless.

Of course, if/when they merge with Nissan (and I truly believe that will
happen), maybe they can learn a few things.

BTW, today's Detroit News has good coverage of the Nissan story:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060701/AUTO01/607010372

Ron Porter

  _____