shop-talk

Re: Tables saw for a newbie

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tables saw for a newbie
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 18:38:43 -0800 (PST)
I'm a metalworking kind of guy; you can mostly trust me around
rough carpentry not to hurt myself and not to screw things up
too badly, but over the years I've really gotten used to clamping
things down and using handwheels graduated to .001" to adjust
things.

Boy is working with wood a rude shock.

I've had to do a bunch of it over the past year (we bought a
cabin in the mountains) and have a lot more to look forward to.
One of the things I'm going to buy "soon" is a small table saw.
I really need something that I can move to the job, not to
mention the lack of a "shop" for permanent setup of a "real" saw.

After digging through rec.woodworking archives, I have come
to the conclusion that what I want is a "contractor table saw" -
they are smaller than the real thing, but a lot sturdier
than the really cheap ones. The Bosch 4000 seems to be one of
the top two models in this category, trading with the DeWalt 744S.
These are both benchtop saws. People think highly of the Jet
saw, too (uh, JWTS-10JF).

They're probably not great for cutting sheets of plywood, which
is one of the things I need to do ... but life is full
of compromises.

The Bosch seems to be available reconditioned for $400.

chris