rolls-bentley

Re: Zen and the Art of Rolls-Royce Maintenance (Haynes version)

To: "Richard J. H. Shears" <richard@shears.org>
Subject: Re: Zen and the Art of Rolls-Royce Maintenance (Haynes version)
From: Carl Follstad <farkle@winternet.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 18:28:26 -0500
Richard J. H. Shears wrote:

> You may remember I put a copy of my email to Haynes on this site?  Well,
> here is their "answer".
>
> (In order to conserve the world's limited supply of electrons, and
> everyone's phone bills, I will not re-post my original enquiry.  In
> summary, I asked for the prospects of a reprint of the Shadow manual(s),
> the ISBN and details of copying licences if they weren't interested in
> doing a reprint, and is there/has there ever been a Spirit manual? - and
> this is what they say:)
>
> ---
>
> Thank you for your Email, a very lengthy one at that.
>
> We would have to reprint a considerable amount of manuals in order for
> it to be worth while.
> Thank you for your offer of canvassing support.  Your request has been
> noted on our customer responce system that gets collated at the end of
> each month.
>
> Please do not hesitate in contacting us if we can be of any further
> assistance.
>
> Regards
>
> Sarah Dunlop
> Mail Order Sales Co-ordinator

(/clip)

Richard et al,

While I share your frustration at Sarah's unaccomodating response (see, I can
spell too),
I can understand their reluctance to bear the cost of another press/binding
run for
just a "few" copies (I work at a commercial printer -- quantities less than
5000 are
really annoying and potentially expensive considering press set up and
warehousing costs).
I don't have Sarah's email address or I'd send this myself but perhaps you can
pass it on.  I am wondering if Haynes makes any of it's manuals available in
electronic
format (i.e. HTML or PDF)?  Both are very cost-effective for small distros
since it
involves the user printing him/herself, not the publisher/printer and since
they already
have the investment in a web site they obviously already have a distribution
infrastructure.  Just digitize to PDF or a graphics standard (good), or
convert to HTML
(better, but they'd have to convert it from their native WP format to HTML).
If they are
unwilling and will grant me permission to legally do it, I'll will do it
myself (if
someone provides for me an original to scan).  I already did it with a Jag Mk
VII manual
a few months back ...

Cheers,

Carl Follstad
Minneapolis, MN, USA

Still searching for a Shadow II or Wraith II!