RE: [oletrucks] checking compression 350 chevy

To: <oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] checking compression 350 chevy
From: "AJT" <ajt@embarqmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 21:41:34 -0500
Always have oil in your motor whenever turning it over. Oil IS needed
between the rings for a proper compression test.

I would do a pressure test on the cooling system first.

All your cylinders should read almost the same. A lot of factors determin
the compression. Types of pistons, CC of the heads, rod length, diameter of
bore, don't forget the stroke also.

If all your oil is milky, start to worry. If it just a glob of milk and the
rest of your oil looked like oil..... don't worry. Just do a pressure test
on the cooling system.

Jay in East Texas
If you dont ride, you dont know!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4mU8ZqMZPU

FREE Model railroading Subscription:
 http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com

Subject: [oletrucks] checking compression 350 chevy

I am going to do a compression test because I had a little milky looking
stuff in the oil pan. It may be from condensation since I didn't even have
my radiator connected. Although maybe there was some water left in the
engine in someplace. I did see about a table spoon of water fall from the
lower hose connector of the water pump.
Anyway, what is considered to lo of a compression? My oil pan is leaking
too, would it hurt the engine to do a compression check without any oil? I
will be turning it over and not cranking it?

Thanks again for the help,

            Tom still struggling and learning in SC