RE: [oletrucks] amp gauge for volt gauge

To: "Tom Cooper" <tntcoop@earthlink.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] amp gauge for volt gauge
From: K Ohlgren <kjohlgren@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 17:55:31 +0000
tom
the conversion is low skill, i did it at my desk (all except the hammering
part). the new 2 1/4 gauge has the same needle swing as our stock 55-59 gauge,
which made it an easy conversion. if your nervous about ruining your gauge,
buy a stock amp gauge off ebay or a list member and do the conversion. i took
the opportunity to clean all my gauges and speedo, replaced the faceplate and
painted the back plate. i painted the back plate with rattle can crinckle
paint, it does look rather nice. i did take picktures of the build on a
company camera, then someone erased them. i can take one of the finish product
for you. the only tricky part is cutting the needle off each gauge and gluing
it to the new guts. too much glue and you ruin the gauge. i then tweaked the
needle to be centered at 14 volts.Kurt 58 3100 Apache project the "Duracell
Project" it keeps going... and going...When I die, i want to go asleep and
peaceful, not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car.  >
From: tntcoop@earthlink.net> To: kjohlgren@hotmail.com;
oletrucks@autox.team.net> Subject: RE: [oletrucks] amp gauge for volt gauge>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 22:25:37 -0400> > That sounds like a good idea, not sure
I have the skills, but maybe> worth a try.. Any chance you took any pictures,
or do you have any picts> now?> Thanks tom> > -----Original Message----->
From: owner-oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net> [mailto:owner-oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net]
On Behalf Of K Ohlgren> Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 9:03 PM> To: Tom Cooper;
oletrucks@autox.team.net> Subject: RE: [oletrucks] amp gauge for volt gauge> >
tom> i posted this a while back for someone else, here it is for you;> > what
yr is your truck? i did my 58 myself with a $20 volt gauge and a> little>
creativity. looks stock, too. the 55-58 gauges use the same size guts as> a 2>
1/4 inch round gauge. i drilled out the stock amp gauge faceplate rivets> and>
put the volt gauge guts into the stock mount. the stock gauge face has>
dimples> that you need to hammer flat to get the face plate sitting far
enough> back.> after hammering the dimples flat you just re-drill the holes
and screw> it on> the volt gauge guts. new gauges use plastic needles, so i
cut off both> and jb> welded (epoxy) the stock needle on the volt gauge. the
speedo face plate> has> amp embosed on it and still does. i hooked a 14 volt
source to it and> set the> needle in pointing to the center dot, so as long as
the volt gauge is> around> the middle, i'm ok. i cleaned up everything and
used crinkle paint on> the> speedo backing plate, i think it looks awesome. i
was going to paint> everything yellow like the dash but the white letters on
the face plate> would> have been hard to read, so it's black crinkle now.Kurt
freaking out like everyone else> in the> car. > From: tntcoop@earthlink.net>
To: oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net>> Subject:> [oletrucks] amp gauge for volt gauge>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 20:12:41> -0400> >> I have gotten spooked about using my
stock amp gauge with an> alternator.> I> was told the amp gauge may not be
able to handle the amount of amps> the> alternator will put out, its rated at
63 amps.> I was also told that if> I get> a short it could burn up my truck. I
was> going to put a fuesable link> in the> line but that may not avoid a bad>
situation.> > Does anyonme know where> I can> get a volt gauge that will fit
into my> original instrument cluster and> still> look like my amp gauge does?>
> If there is no such creature, do I have> any> other options other than a>
volt gauge under the dash? What is the> safest way> to wire the amp gauge?>
Thanks > Tom in SC>>
Windows Live SkyDrive lets you share files with faraway friends.
http://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_s
kydrive_052008