[oletrucks] RE: oletrucks-digest V2 #2718

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] RE: oletrucks-digest V2 #2718
From: "R.D. Hulst" <rdhulst@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 21:02:31 -0500
Probably not the cheapest or smartest way to do it, but here is what I did
to get disc brakes on my '51 3/4 ton:

Since no kit was available, and the 1/2 ton conversion kits don't work, I
did some searching and decide to adapt the disc brake set up from a 1984
F250 Rear wheel drive truck for my use.  Here are the parts I used:

Inner Bearings
Timken Cone L689149
Timken Cup L68110
This gives an bearing ID of 1.3775", (meaning you have to have the inner end
of the spindles machined down to this diameter), and OD of 2.3280" and a
bearing width of 0.625".  You'll need to make a spacer with width of
0.6250", OD no larger than 2.3280" and an ID of 1.3775" to keep the rotor
from grinding against the spindle mount points.

Outer Bearings
Timken Cone: LM12748
Timken Cup: LM12710
This gives the following bearing dimensions: ID=0.8437" OD=1.7810"
W=0.6100"
I think I had to make an outer spacer to ensure the nut didn't run out of
threads.

Seal: NAPA NOS19743
Rotor left: NAPA UBP 85682
Rotor Right: NAPA UBP 85682
Caliper Left: NAPA RBP 4424032MS (single piston)
Caliper Right: NAPA RBP 4424033MS (single piston)

I had to make up caliper mounting brackets that look a lot like the ones you
see with the 1/2 ton conversion kits.  This was a trial and error exercise.
I replaced the original wheels with a set from an '84 F250.  Given that I
haven't actually driven the truck yet (darned body work anyway), the set up
appears to be great!!!!

R.D. Hulst