Re: [oletrucks] 1959 engine paint 235

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 1959 engine paint 235
From: James Karras <jkarras@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:41:03 -0700 (PDT)
Mike,

Your point is very well taken and I agree. I did compare Bob Hensel's list of
engine colors for 1959 Chevy truck 235s and they coincided with the drawing a
few months back which is why I decided to go with gray for my 1959 Chevy truck
235. I posted it on the list because I thought others might want to see what I
was referring to in my earlier post. Sometime ago, I checked with Bob Alder
about the correct colors for my truck and he advised me that he felt gray was
the correct color for the Chevy truck 235 in 1959.

On the other hand, many folks report a blue-gray being used in that year as
well for Chevy truck 235s. Additionally, Both Chevy Duty and Jim Carter lists
blue-gray as a valid color for Chevy truck sixes during the 1959 model-year.
Yet, Robert Hensel's list indicates the first year blue-gray was used is 1960
for Chevy truck 235s.

So, these inconsistencies are frustrating but also very intriguing. I never
dreamed when I started this project that such a simple detail as the verifying
the correct engine color for my truck would become such an arduous task for a
vehicle that had 100s of thousands of units produced by the worlds largest auto
manufacturer! It sure as been a fun road though. . .

I do want to thank you and all of the other truck enthusiasts on this and the
other lists that have assisted me so much on this journey. It truly has been a
great pleasure learning so much from so many knowledgeable folks. The time and
efforts that so many put in to help answer the many questions posted daily is
very remarkable to say the least! I just hope that at some point I will be in a
position to return the favor to others.

My last thought is this: Now I see why so many to the rat-rod thing -- Its much
less complicated. ;-)

Jim Karras

Orange, CA

'59 Chevrolet Apache 32 Stepside Pickup