[oletrucks] 1959 engine paint 235

To: "Ole_Trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 1959 engine paint 235
From: "Jim Karras" <jkarras@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 10:58:22 -0700
I have a factory drawing of a 1959 Task Force truck 235 motor painted in the
gray paint.  The V-8's were green in the brochure.  This brochure was
published in 1959.  I believe the blue gray color started being used on the
230s in 1963.

My suspicion is that some folks might have touched up their engines or
rebuilt their engines in the late 60's or early 70's and just used the
available six cylinder color listed in the books at the time.  But, since I
didn't own my truck until 1976, I can't confirm or deny any other then my
truck had a blue gray greenish color paint on it when I bought it in 1976.
But, I know it had an overhaul in 1973 and the engine was painted at that
point.  Hence the reason for my theory above.

Here is the URL/link to the reprint of that article Bob Alder mentioned.

http://www.danroy.com/truck/tech01.html

Since I just had my engine painted the gray a few weeks ago, I hope I am on
target with my decision on gray as the correct color for my truck. ;-)

Jim Karras
Orange, CA
'59 Chevrolet Apache 32 Stepside Pickup
E-mail:   Jim@59apache.com