Re: [oletrucks] SS Trim Polish

To: thomasind@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] SS Trim Polish
From: IDPHR@aol.com
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 15:57:16 EST
Jim...I'm really into SS polishing lately...I've learned a lot by
experimenting. I started out with an old 8" grinder took off the grinding
wheels, bought
three 8" buffs: sisal, spiral sewn and loose flannel wheels and bought 2
-shaft extenders (I bought 1/2" diameter but they also come in 5/8 and 3/4).
I bought 3 buffing compounds: Emery for fast cut, hard metal smoothing,
Stainless for a moderate cut polishing stainless and White rouge for virtually
no
cut polishing. If you don't have dings, dents or deep scratches that's all you
need. Use the emery 1st with either the sisal or spiral buff...that will take
care of most light scratches...then the stainless for the first level polish
and fine scratches and finally the white rouge for mirror finish.
If you have deep scratches...you handle it just like body work...sand with
220 grit, then 320 grit then 400 grit...the emoery will smooth $00 grit
(however, I like to go to 700 grit). If you have light dings you can remove
them by
lightly pounding them out using a hardwood dowel of the appropriate diameter
then sanding the imperfections with the sandpaper sequence mentioned above.
I bougt all this stuff at Eastwood's for about $50...I've saved 10X that
amount!
Good luck
Steve G.