Re: [oletrucks] '59 won't start

To: dana@spazzco.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '59 won't start
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 18:11:08 -0600
Dana:
Some suggestions, don't have to follow this order exactly, but I think the
order is logical given what you've described (work on the starter circuit
first, then move on the the charging circuit).
1.) Check and clean both battery terminals and cable ends connecting to the
battery. Recharge battery and check starting operation.
2.) Check battery ground cable correctly grounded to frame, engine and body.
3.) Check condition of wiring to the starter, assure cables are not frayed
and terminals are clean and tight.
4.) Check condition of wires to starter solenoid and ignition switch or
starter button.
5.) If possible, take battery to place you bought it (or a local parts
store) and ask for a battery load test.  If test shows bad, replace.
6.) Check operation of starter (test with voltmeter) or if you don't know
how, take to a garage and have them run a starter/charging electrical
circuit test.
7.) Check wiring condition at alternator, make sure clean and tight.
8.) Check tension of alternator belt, if loose, tighten.

Good Luck!!

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy TF Stepside
Pontiac, IL