RE: [oletrucks] starting question

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] starting question
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 22:26:22 -0500
Don't know if you can get this in California, but in Minnesota some
stations carry real old style 91 octane unleaded gasoline with no
alcohol, mbte, or anything else that contributes to the short shelf
life of modern gas.  It is legal here to only put this in collector
cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, chain saws, and so on.

Otherwise, there is a snake oil called Sta Bil that seems to work
pretty good for storing gas in tanks and gas cans.  I use it mainly
for winter storage with the good gas mentioned above, but have had
no problem starting things up after a winter (or summer) of storage.

Also, if you live in an area where there are big temperature swings
or it is very humid, it is important to keep the tank full to keep
air from deteriorating the gas.

Bruce K
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN

At Saturday, 26 October 2002, you wrote:

>My trucks are mainly weekend drivers.  About a year ago I noticed
all (3)
>didn't start as fast as they used to after sitting for a week or
two.  After
>reading about this wonderful newly formulated gas we now have, I
attributed
>the problem to that. If you haven't followed this story,; basically
the new
>formula is only good for about two weeks before the flash properties
begin
>to deteriorate.  Former list member Bob Adler wrote a good article
on this
>for THIS OLD TRUCK on this about a year ago.  Any other thoughts
on this
>subject?
>
>Whitney Haist
>Orinda, CA