Re: [oletrucks] Dodge Transmissions

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Dodge Transmissions
From: "Bobby D Keeland" <bob_keeland@usgs.gov>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:59:38 -0600
My wife has a 98 Dodge 1/2 ton with V6 and 5-speed.  It has 130,000 miles
and is a wonderful truck.  We use it for lots of things such as camping
(small shell on it), hualing relatively small loads of lumber, a yard of
sand or gravel now and then, big round bails of hay a few miles, etc.  It
has never been subjected to much HEAVY hauling.  We have not had any
problems with this truck (except for the warning sensors on the brakes and
exhaust systems going bad - no problems with the systems, just with the
warning sensors).

My brother had a 96 Dodge 1/2 ton with V8 and 5-speed (same 5-speed as used
with the V6 - not the heavier duty 5-speed that is sometimes used with the
V8s).  He used his truck for quite a bit of heavy hauling (heavy loads and
a medium size camper trailer).  I don't believe he does a lot of hot
rodding, just hauling heavy loads, sometimes in the mountains of east
Tennessee.  He replaced the seal on the (output shaft ?? or something like
that) twice.  The last time his mechanic said that if it failed again the
tranny would have to be rebuilt.  After looking somewhere on the internet
he found that this particular tranmission (a new venture something or
other) is fairly weak and fails often.

Before you buy the used Dodge truck find out what transmission it has and
compare that with what you want to do with the truck.  If this truck has
the heavy duty transmission (or perhaps if it is an automatic - but I have
no knowledge about the automatics used in Dodges) you may be OK.

BobK

                    "Old Chevy Pickup"

                    <oldchevypickup@hotm        To:
oletrucks@autox.team.net
                    ail.com>                    cc:

                    Sent by:                    Subject:     [oletrucks] Joel
Carey
                    owner-oletrucks@auto

                    x.team.net

                    01/23/02 10:28 AM

                    Please respond to

                    "Old Chevy Pickup"

Joel Carey,

Could you send me an email off line?  I have a question about your Dodge
truck and having to put 4 trannies in.  I am about to buy a used Dodge
truck
and didn't want to make the same mistake.

Thanks - Dan