Re: [oletrucks] Ford 9" Rear

To: Jim.Wilkerson@sas.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Ford 9" Rear
From: "Kevin Morisette" <kmm1024@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 17:29:27 -0700
I got a 9" out of a '65 thunderbird, I forget the exact measurements, but
they were very close to stock, around 61" (I think stock is 62").  I wanted
to be able to use the widest tires possible without tubbing, and it looks
like that was it.  Once you figure in the backspacing (the least amount for
the Weld wheels I want is 3.5") it is a very close fit next to the bed, but
I haven't installed the rearend yet.  I figured if it is too close to the
bed side, I can either get spacers or get a bracket (a guy on eBay is
selling them) that will allow me to get disc brake rotors  and calipers out
of the wreckers and use them, and that'll push it out a little.  Also, my
rearend is the version of the 9" which is round on the back, with two
dimples.  I'm not sure if all the ones that are rounded are like this, but
my ring gear for this version is 9 3/8" I think, which means that I can't
use many popular gears etc. unless I change out the whole 3rd member/center
section, which I'll be doing anyway to get 4.11's and posi.  I read in a 4x4
magazine that the 9" round rearend isn't as strong as the 9" with the big
hump on the back, but I don't know.  I've also heard that the 9" will rob
some of the power over getting a 8" out of a new mustang or something.  Mine
has 28 spline axles instead of 31.