[oletrucks] Stuck brake drums

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Stuck brake drums
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 08:04:42 -0700
Sounds like the shoes are rusted solidly to the drums.  The reason they
stick at the top is that there's a retainer plate holding the shoes on,
in addition to the wheel cylinder links.

On one old Chevy car I hauled home, which had been sitting in the dirt
with a couple wheels buried for 20 years, I wound up cutting a couple of
the drums off!  I used a torch and cut a circle in the steel part of the
drum, not far from the edge, then whacked the cast iron part with a
hammer to break it away from the shoes.  This is what you do after you
give up hope of saving the drums.

If you have adjusted the shoes in all the way, then you might be able to
get the drums loose by whacking the outer (round) part of the drum with
a hammer pretty hard...and pry at the top where it's stuck.

Good luck, that's a tough job!

Jim F
59s in AZ