Re: [oletrucks] 59 TF Posi

To: jforbes@primenet.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 59 TF Posi
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:24:09 EST
In a message dated 3/14/00 1:17:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jforbes@primenet.com writes:

> Mike--
>
>  I think the posi was quite rare, probably installed in less than 5% of
>  the 59 Chevy half tons (just a guess).
>
>  This early posi doesn't have springs preloading the clutch plates...so
>  it is supposed to be loose.  When you apply torque to it, the forces on
>  the spider/side gears force the side gears out, and compress the
>  clutches.
>
>  Value is hard to determine...since there aren't any other gear ratios
>  commonly availble for it, you can only use it with the 3.92 ratio, and
>  most folks today seem more interested in highway gears.  The gears are
>  different from the Dana 44 rearend, I checked...
>
>  I probably would not take less than $500 for my 59 posi rearend, but I'm
>  not motivated to sell it.  I know I can spend more than that replacing
>  it with something else.
>
>  Jim

  Thanks for the info Jim,

  You know I wondered about whether the posi was worn or not, I pulled the
diff. cover myself several years ago to see what it loked like inside, and
there was very, very little grunge in the bottom, I wiped it out, put the
cover on and refilled it.

  While I had it in the air running, both tires spun, then with one on the
ground, I could spin the opposite by hand, and notice just a little drag
(maybe 10 ft/lbs or so), I just figured it was worn.

  Also it's good to know it may be worth something, I'd have a hard time
asking $500.00 for it though, but......

  Mike