RE: [oletrucks] Ignition/distributor info wanted

To: "'Keith'" <kvdurand@mail.esc4.com>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Ignition/distributor info wanted
From: "McNulty, Bob" <BMCNULTY@csuchico.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 09:35:06 -0700
Sure enough the condenser was the culprit.

Had fun figuring it out though.

Parked under a tree with 6 pack in tow, while scratching my head the
neighborhood "codger" stopped by on his walk to aid my efforts (mostly to
help me with the 6 pack).  He is a great wealth of information about old
Dodges and the kind of guy that takes 30 minutes just to say hello.

Anyway I was going to check the color of the spark coming out of the coil by
holding the high voltage lead from to the distributor while holding it with
a pair of insulated channel locks and keeping the end of the wire a small
distance from a ground point,  while someone turned over the engine.  I had
been told if it was anything but blue the coil was bad or going bad.  "The
codger" agreed this test was valid, however while pushing me out of the way
said   "You young'ins got to have a tool for everything don't ya?  Just hold
the damn wire with your hand boy,  here let me show ya........  now turn it
over."

You can probably guess what happened.  No sooner had I turned it over than I
heard a thump as his head hit the hood.  "Codger" comes jumping back giving
me a refresher course in 4 letter vernacular, .....  in the middle of which
he deems the coil to be fully functional.

Still no spark to the plugs so replaced the points first.....  still no
spark

After replacing the condenser  ......   bingo..... nice purin' 235 again.

Codger and I finished off the 6 pack while he proceeded to tell me how he
used race harley's on dirt tracks.

Great afternoon spent in the shade.