[oletrucks] Ignition/distributor info wanted

To: "'oletrucks@autox.team.net'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Ignition/distributor info wanted
From: "McNulty, Bob" <BMCNULTY@csuchico.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 16:04:40 -0700
While sitting here waiting for my battery to charge I figured I'd see if one
of y'all could assist me.

Started the truck in a parking lot, got about 100 yards, a small puff and NO
GO.  pushed it back to a parking space and lifted the hood

1.   Gas squirts into carb when I pump accellorator

2.   No visible spark across the points.

3.   Using a volt meter
     a) juice from battery to coil +
     b) juice across the + and - terminals of the coil
     c) continuity from the coil -  to  condenser
     d) with ignition key in on position + lead into plug type wire from
coil and - grounded, only getting about 6 to 8 volts.
     e) no decernable spark through grounded plug (battery getting very week
at this point from repeated attemtps to start or view spark)

Had it towed home (damn I hate that)

4.  How does one tell if a coil is or is going bad?
5.  What should I try next (once the battery has a full charge again)as a
diagnostic?
6.  Anyone know of a good book/website on distributor/ignition basics?

Thanks for any and all assistance

Bob in Chico