RE: [oletrucks] Leaf Spring Mods

To: "'craig k'" <soundex@eden.com>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Leaf Spring Mods
From: Tom Burt <tburt@hirose.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 11:57:10 -0700
Thanks guys for the input.
Being that these are old springs, I might consider the monoleaf option as
this will ultimately force me to replace the shackle pins.

As a side story:
I spent Saturday the 3rd relocating the driver's side shock mount.

Story is that the PO had it positioned incorrectly after installing power
steering.  The result of this was a 11.4" inch distance (at rest)
mount-to-mount.  Passenger side is 15.75" at rest.  The shock was always
bottomed out...duh!
I went to Pacific Truck bone yard in Sun Valley CA and picked up the
passenger upper and lower mounting brackets.  The existing upper mount on
the driver's side was torched when they welded it on leaving me with no
choice but to grind it off.
I then got the passenger side lower mount from the junkyard, swapped the
U-bolts, and remounted it pointing towards the rear.  I used a strip of
wood drilled out to the passenger side length, positioned the upper mount,
and bolted it to the frame accordingly.
With the shocks having ample stroke, handling is much better.

Added note to you So. Cal truckers, Pacific Truck is right off of the 5
freeway on Sheldon St. in Sun Valley.  They had some mightly interesting
stuff on their lot!

Tom B. '57 Stepside 3200