[oletrucks] What rear is it (part number)

To: Oletrucks Digest <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] What rear is it (part number)
From: Edward Miller <edngael@open.org>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 10:39:06 -0700
Hi Mike,
That number doesn't sound like anything on my rear end; are they stamped
or cast?  My stamped numbers were (before I replaced with a newer
pumpkin) "AF729"; the AF meant regular production half ton so yours
would probably mean something else if you can find them.  Yes, it sounds
like a posi from your description and I'm jealous.  The _Classic Auto
Restorer_ is in the middle of a three part series on how to rebuild a
positraction rear end.

Chevytrucks.org has lots of links to casting numbers, but I don't
remember one for the rear ends.  Is there anyplace else?  I think I got
some of the info from my information packet, but I guess you would need
one for a '57 (as well as your actual truck!).

Have fun with it,
Ed
'58 Apache Fleetside

Mike asks:
My last post asking for help identifying my Positraction (I think) came
back
without much info one way or the other.  Well, while cleaning up the
rear
today, I found a part number on the pumpkin.  It is 3707340.  I'm not
certain
about the last "0", but the rest is pretty clear.  Can anyone confirm
this
be a limited slip rear by the number?  Is it a '57 truck rear as I was
led
believe?  Is there a web site that provides part numbers
identification?
Once more, thanks.
BTW, I second the positive comments on ALL the folks who make this list
happen.  I don't know where I'd be on my truck today without the list.
Someone else said it, this is like a family.
Mike Klepp
'48 3100