RE: [oletrucks] 57 door panel hinge repair

To: "'varanus@mail.phoenix.net'" <varanus@mail.phoenix.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 57 door panel hinge repair
From: Ryan Border <rborder@fcxena.fc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 16:32:26 -0600
Hi Eric,
  I had a similar problem, the lower hinge mounting inside the door was a
real mess.  In my case, I figured the door was toast, and was going to have
to be replaced (didn't know you could get repair panels).  Anyway, since I'd
pretty much given up hope on the door, I figured I had nothing to lose in
trying to fix it.  I cut a square away from the skin about 1 foot each side
(started cuts with a cut-off wheel, finished them with a sawzall).  This
gave me good access to the back of the hinge area.  I hammered the area back
straight, welded the cracks back together, and then welded in a bunch of
re-enforcement panels.  Sprayed in a healthy wallop of rustoleum before
welding the (original) skin panel back on.  It's roughed out with fiberglass
re-enfoced bondo right now, but I'm pretty sure I can get the skin looking
OK.  I still haven't sorted all the problems out with the door, but it's a
*LOT* better than it was before.   I can't imagine that pulling the entire
skin off would be any easier.

One tough part was trying to figure out a way to clamp the skin panel back
on for welding (I ended up using magnets while I got the welds started)

The lower hinge takes a lot of abuse- mostly in compression. I would guess
(from the wear/damage I've seen) that it actually takes a worse beating than
the upper.

Anybody had experience with the fiberglass doors?  I'm guessing they're a
lot lighter, and a lot easier on the hinges.  Also, any experience with the
roll-pans from "eastcoastcustoms.com"- considering their ZR roll panel at
about $250 including all the lighting and harness.

Feeling your pain-
Ryan.

55 2nd 3100.