Re: [oletrucks] fuel economy?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] fuel economy?
From: Wayne Osborne <wcosborne@inetnow.net>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 10:51:03 -0400
A lot depends on if you're still running the original rear end gears in the
truck. I believe that came with most 3:90 which is fairly steep for todays
standard of driving. I have a fairly strong 327 in my 56, and I say a huge
difference with I put the 2:73 rear end... I get around 14-18 mpg depends
on how heavy my foot gets. I have a munsie 4 speed which helps me a lot
with the low gears.... If you have not changed the rear end--thats gonna be
one real big factor....wayne

At 04:12 PM 5/12/99 PDT, you wrote:
>I've got a 59 Chevy Apache 1/2 ton, 235 stock.  It's a daily driver and I've
>been driving it for about a year and a half, though I had the engine
>remanufactured in November (would have loved to do it myself but was not
>excited about doing a rebuild on the street in LA!).  My question though is
>about fuel economy.  I really don't know what I should be aiming for, though
>I have a sense it should be higher than the 10mpg that I get in the city.
>I'm thinking about getting over to a shop with a dynomometer to fine tune
>it.  I don't do any heavy hauling to speak of with it.  Any of you all's
>suggestions or comments as to what I could do to amp up the economy factor
>would be real welcome.  Thanks--
>Sam Quincy

---------
                 http://www.chevytrucks.org/users/wayne
For a quick view of oletrucks mailing list members trucks go to:
         http://www.chevytrucks.org/users/wayne/member.html